The RAS exam syllabus is vast and covers a wide range of topics. However, there are some core topics that are essential for any aspirant who wishes to pursue a career in the Rajasthan Administrative Service.
The RPSC Syllabus for RAS exam 2023 can be divided into two parts:
RAS Pre Syllabus
RAS Syllabus – Mains
RPSC RAS Preliminary Exam Syllabus 2023
The Preliminary Examination will consist of one paper on the subject specified below, which will be of objective type and carry a maximum of 200 marks. The examination is meant to serve as a screening test only. The Standard of the paper will be that of a Bachelor’s Degree Level. The marks obtained in the Preliminary Examination by the candidates, who are declared qualified for admission to Main Examination will not be counted for determining their final order of merit. There will be 150 questions of multiple choice (Objective Type), carrying equal marks. There will be negative marking.1/3 mark will be deducted for each wrong answer
|1.||General Knowledge and General Science||200||3 Hours|
History, Art, Culture, Literature, Tradition & Heritage of Rajasthan
- Pre-historical sites of Rajasthan- from Palaeolithic to Chalcolithic and Bronze Age.
- Historical Rajasthan: Important historical centres of Early Christian Era. Society, Religion and Culture in Ancient Rajasthan.
- Political and Cultural achievements of prominent rulers of major dynasties – Guhila, Pratihar, Chauhan, Parmar, Rathore, Sisodiya and Kachchawa. Administrative and Revenue System in Medieval Rajasthan.
- Emergence of Modern Rajasthan: Agents of Social Awakening in Rajasthan during 19th – 20th Centuries. Political Awakening: role of newspapers and political institutions. Tribal and Peasant movements in 20th century, Praja Mandal movements in various princely states during 20th century. Integration of Rajasthan
- Architectural Tradition of Rajasthan- temples, forts, palaces and man- made water bodies; Various schools of paintings and handicrafts.
- Performing Art: Classical Music and Classical Dance; Folk Music & Instruments; Folk Dances & Drama.
- Language & Literature: Dialects of Rajasthani Language. Literature of Rajasthani language and Folk literature.
- Religious Life: Religious Communities, Saints and Sects in Rajasthan. Folk Deities of Rajasthan.
- Social Life in Rajasthan: Fairs and festivals; Social customs and traditions; attires and ornaments.
- Leading Personalities of Rajasthan.
Ancient & Medieval Period:
- Cultural Foundations of India – Indus and Vedic Age; Renunciatory tradition and new religious ideas of 6th Century BC- Ajivakas, Buddhism and Jainism.
- Achievements of prominent rulers of major dynasties: Maurya, Kushan, Satavahan, Gupta, Chalukya, Pallava and Chola.
- Art and Architecture in Ancient India.
- Development of Language and Literature in Ancient India: Sanskrit, Prakrit and Tamil.
- Sultanate Period: Achievements of prominent Sultanate Rulers. Cultural achievements of Vijaynagar.
- Mughal Period: Political challenges and reconciliation- Afghan, Rajput, Deccan States & Maratha.
- Development of Art & Architecture, Paintings and Music during medieval period.
- Religious & Literary contribution of Bhakti & Sufi movement.
Modern Period (from early 19th century to 1964):
- Evolution of Modern India & Emergence of Nationalism: Intellectual awakening; Press; Western education. Socio- religious reforms during 19th century: various leaders and institutions.
- The Freedom Struggle & Indian National Movement- its various stages, streams and important contributors, contributions from different parts of the country
- Post-independence Nation Building: The linguistic reorganisation of the states, Institutional building during Nehruvian age, Development of science and technology
Geography of World and India
- Major Landforms-Mountains, Plateaus, Plains & Deserts
- Major Rivers & Lakes
- Types of Agriculture
- Major Industrial Regions
- Environmental Issues- Desertification, Deforestation, Climate Change & Global Warming, Ozone Layer Depletion
Geography of India:
- Major Landforms- Mountains, Plateaus, Plains
- Mechanism of Monsoon & Rainfall distribution
- Major Rivers & Lakes
- Major Crops- Wheat, Rice, Cotton, Sugarcane, Tea & Coffee
- Major Minerals- Iron ore, Manganese, Bauxite, Mica
- Power Resources- Conventional & Non-Conventional
- Major Industrial Regions.
- National Highways & Major Transport Corridors
Geography of Rajasthan
- Major physiographic regions and their characteristics
- Climatic characteristics
- Major Rivers & Lakes
- Natural Vegetation & Soil
- Major Crops- Wheat, Maize, Barley, Cotton, Sugarcane & Bajra
- Major Industries.
- Major Irrigation Projects & Water Conservation Techniques
- Population-Growth, Density, Literacy, Sex-ratio & Major Tribes
- Minerals- Metallic & Non-Metallic
- Power Resources- Conventional & Non-Conventional
- Biodiversity & its Conservation
- Tourist Centres & Circuits
Indian Constitution, Political System & Governance
- Indian Constitution: Philosophical Postulates:
- Constituent Assembly, Salient features of Indian Constitution, Constitutional Amendments.
- Preamble, Fundamental Rights, Directive Principles of State Policy, Fundamental Duties.
- Indian Political System:
- President, Prime Minister and Council of Ministers, Parliament, Supreme Court & Judicial Review
- Election Commission of India, Comptroller and Auditor General, NITI Aayog, Central Vigilance Commission, Lokpal, Central Information Commission, National Human Rights Commission.
- Federalism, Democratic Politics in India, Coalition Governments, National Integration.
Political and Administrative System of Rajasthan
State Political System:
- Governor, Chief Minister and Council of Ministers, Legislative Assembly, High Court.
- District Administration, Local Self Government, Panchayati Raj Institutions.
- Rajasthan Public Service Commission, State Human Rights Commission, Lokayukt, State Election Commission, State Information Commission.
Public Policy & Rights:
- Public Policy, Legal Rights and Citizen’s Charter
Economic Concepts and Indian Economy
Basic Concepts of Economics
- Basic Knowledge of Budgeting, Banking, Public Finance, Goods and Service Tax, National Income, Growth and Development
- Accounting- Concept, Tools and Uses in Administration
- Stock Exchange and Share Market
- Fiscal and Monetary Policies
- Subsidies, Public Distribution System
- Inflation- Concept, Impact and Control Mechanism
Economic Development & Planning
- Major Sectors of Economy: – Current Status, Issues & Initiatives of Agriculture, Industry, Service and Trade sectors
- Major Economic Problems and Government Initiatives. Economic Reforms and Liberalization
Human Resource and Economic Development
- Human Development Index
- Happiness Index
- Poverty and Unemployment: – Concept, Types, Causes, Remedies and Current Flagship Schemes.
Social Justice and Empowerment
- Provisions for Weaker Sections.
Economy of Rajasthan
- Macro overview of Economy.
- Major Agricultural, Industrial and Service Sector Issues.
- Growth, Development and Planning.
- Infrastructure & Resources
- Major Development Projects
- Major Welfare Schemes of State Government for SC/ST/Backward Classes/ Minorities/ Disabled Persons, Destitute, Women, Children, Old Age People, Farmers & Labourers.
Science & Technology
- Basics of Everyday Science.
- Computers, Information and Communication Technology
- Defence Technology, Space Technology and Satellites.
- Nanotechnology, Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering.
- Food and Nutrition, Blood Groups and Rh Factor.
- Health care; Infectious, Non-Infectious and Zoonotic diseases.
- Environmental and Ecological Changes and their Impact
- Biodiversity, Conservation of Natural Resources and Sustainable Development.
- Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry and Animal Husbandry with special reference to Rajasthan.
- Development of Science and Technology with special reference to Rajasthan.
Reasoning & Mental Ability
Logical Reasoning (Deductive, Inductive, Abductive):
- Statement and Assumptions
- Statement and Argument
- Statements and Conclusion
- Statement and Courses of Action
- Analytical Reasoning
- Number /Letter sequences
- Problems related to Relations
- Direction sense test
- Logical Venn diagram
- Mirror / Water images
- Shapes and their sub sections
- Ratio, Proportion and Partnership
- Simple and Compound Interest
- Perimeter and Area of Plane figures
- Data Analysis (Tables, Bar diagram, Line graph, Pie-chart)
- Mean(Arithmetic, Geometric and Harmonic), Median and Mode
- Permutation and Combination
- Probability (Simple Problems)
- Major Current Events and Issues of Rajasthan, India and International Importance.
- Persons, Places and Institutions in News.
- Games and Sports related activities.
RPSC RAS Main Exam Syllabus 2023
The number of candidates to be admitted to the Main Examination will be 15 times the total approximate number of vacancies (category wise) to be filled in the year in the various Services and posts, but in the said range all those candidates who secure the same percentage of marks as may be fixed by the Commission for any lower range will be admitted to the Main Examination
The written examination will consist of the following four papers which will be descriptive /analytical. A candidate must take all the papers listed below which will also consist of question paper of brief, medium, long answer and descriptive type question. The standard of General Hindi and General English will be that of Sr. Secondary Level. The time allowed for each paper shall be 3 hours.
|1.||General Studies –I||200||3 Hours|
|2.||General Studies-II||200||3 Hours|
|3.||General Studies-III||200||3 Hours|
|4.||General Hindi and General English||200||3 Hours|
Paper – I
General Knowledge and General Studies
Part A – History, Art, Culture, Literature, Tradition and Heritage of Rajasthan
- Major landmarks in the History of Rajasthan from Pre-historic time to close of 18th Century, Important dynasties, their administrative and revenue system
- Salient events of 19th & 20th centuries: Peasant & Tribal Movements. Political Awakening, Freedom Movement and Integration.
- Heritage of Rajasthan: Performing & fine Art, Handicraft and Architecture; Fairs, Festivals, Folk Music and Folk Dance
- Important works of Rajasthani Literature and Dialects of Rajasthan
- Saints , Lok Devtas and eminent personalities of Rajasthan
Part B – Indian History & Culture
- Indian heritage: Fine Art, Performing Art, Architecture & Literature from Indus Civilization to British Era.
- Religious Movements and religious philosophy in Ancient and Medieval India
- History of Modern India from beginning of 19th Century to 1965 AD: Significant events, personalities and issues.
- Indian National Movement- Its various stages & streams, important contributors and contribution from different parts of the country.
- Socio-religious Reform Movements in 19th and 20th Century
- Post Independence consolidation and reorganisation – Accession of princely states & Linguistic reorganisation of the states.
Part C – History of Modern World (up to 1950 AD)
- Renaissance and Reformation.
- Enlightenment and Industrial Revolution
- Imperialism and colonialism in Asia and Africa
- Impact of World Wars.
Part A- Indian Economy
- Major Sectors of Economy: Agriculture, Industry & Service- Current Status, Issues and Initiatives.
- Banking: Concept of Money supply & High Powered Money. Role and Functions of Central Bank & Commercial Banks, issues of NPA, Financial Inclusion. Monetary Policy- Concept, objectives & Instruments.
- Public Finance: Tax reforms in India- Direct & Indirect, subsidies- Cash Transfer and other related issues. Recent Fiscal Policy of India
- Recent Trends in Indian Economy: Role of Foreign Capital, MNCs, PDS, FDI, Exim Policy, 12th Finance Commission, Poverty alleviation schemes.
Part B- World Economy
- Global Economic issues and trends: Role of World Bank, IMF & WTO
- Concept of Developing, Emerging and Developed countries
- India in global Scenario
Part C- Economy of Rajasthan
- Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry, Dairy and Animal husbandry with special reference to Rajasthan
- Industrial Sector- Growth and recent trends
- Growth, Development & Planning with special reference to Rajasthan
- Recent development and issues in service sector of Rajasthan.
- Major Development Projects of Rajasthan- their objectives and impact.
- Public Private Partnership Model for Economic Transformation in Rajasthan
- Demographic Scenario of the State and its impact on Rajasthan Economy.
SOCIOLOGY, MANAGEMENT, ACCOUNTING & AUDITING
Part A- Sociology
- Development of Sociological Thought in India
- Social Values
- Caste Class & Occupation
- Varna, Ashram, Purusharth and Sanskar Vyavastha
- Issues and Problems of Society
- Tribal community of Rajasthan: Bhil, Mina (Meena) and Garasia
Part B- Management
- Management – Scope, concept, functions of Management – Planning, Organizing, Staffing, Direction, Coordination and Control, Decision-Making: concept, process and techniques.
- Modern concept of Marketing, Marketing Mix – Product, Price, Place and Promotion
- Objective, concept of maximization of wealth, Sources of Finance – Short and Long term, Capital Structure, Cost of Capital
- Concept and Main theories of Leadership and Motivation, Communication, Basics of recruitment, selection, induction, training & development and appraisal system
Part C- Accounting & Auditing
- Techniques of analysis of Financial statements, Basics of Working Capital Management, Responsibility and Social Accounting
- Meaning & Objectives of Auditing, Internal Control, Social, Performance and Efficiency Audit
- Basics of different types of Budgeting, Budgetary control
Paper – 2
General Knowledge and General Studies
- Ethics and Human Values : Lesson from lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators. Role of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
- Ethical concept-Rit and Rin, concept of Duties, concept of Good and Virtues
- Ethics in private and public relationships- Behaviour, Moral and Political attitudes of administrators – Philosophical basis of Integrity.
- Ethics of Bhagavad Geeta and its role in Administration.
- Gandhian Ethics.
- Contribution of Moral Thinkers and Philosophers from India & World.
- Psycho-Stress Management
- Case Studies.
- Emotional Intelligence – Concepts and their Utilities
Unit – 2
General Science & Technology
- Nanotechnology :- Concept and its application; Nano Mission of India.
- Nuclear technology :- Basic concept, radioactivity and its applications, different types of nuclear reactors, civilian and military uses. Institutional structure for development of nuclear technology in India.
- Telecommunication :- Basic concept, Telecom application for socio-economic development of masses, Indian telecom industry with brief history, National Telecom Policy and TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India)
- Electromagnetic waves, communication systems, basics of computers, uses of information technology, e-governance and e-commerce in administration.
- Defence :- Types of missiles with reference to the India Missile Programme; Various chemical and biological weapons ; Role of DRDO in various fields (other than weapons).
- States of Matter
- Allotropes of carbon.
- pH Scale and importance of pH in daily life.
- Corrosion and its prevention
- Soap and Detergents – Cleansing action of soap
- Polymers and their uses
- General awareness of digestive, respiratory, circulatory, excretory, coordination and reproductive system of Humans
- Application of Biotechnology and concerned Ethical and Intellectual Property Right Issues.
- Food and Human Health : General Awareness of Balanced and Unbalanced Food, Malnutrition, Intoxicants, Blood, Blood Group and Immunity (Antigen, Antibodies), Blood Transfusion, Immunization & Vaccination.
- Human diseases : Communicable & Non Communicable Diseases, Acute and Chronic Diseases; Causes and Prevention of Infectious, Genetic and Lifestyle Disease.
- Water quality and water purification
- Public Health Initiatives with special reference to the State of Rajasthan.
- Contribution of Indian Scientists in Science and Technology.
- Ecosystem : Structure and Function.
- Atmosphere : Composition and Basic nutrient cycling (Nitrogen, Carbon and Water Cycles)
- Climate Change; Renewable and Non-Renewable Energy
- Environmental Pollution and Degradation; Waste Management
- Biodiversity and its conservation with special reference to the state of Rajasthan.
- Water Conservation with special reference to the Traditional Systems in the State of Rajasthan.
- Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry, Dairy and Animal Husbandry with special reference to Rajasthan.
Unit – 3
General Science & Technology
Earth Science (Geography & Geology)
Part A- World
- Broad Physical Features: Mountains, Plateaus, Plains, Lakes and Glaciers.
- Earthquakes and Volcanoes: Types, distribution and their impact
- Earth and its Geological time scale.
- Current Geopolitical Problems.
Part B- India
- Broad Physical Features: Mountains, Plateaus, Plains, Lakes and Glaciers
- Major Physiographic divisions of India.
- Climate- Origin of Monsoon, Seasonal Climatic conditions, Distribution of rainfall and climatic regions,
- Natural Resources: (a) Water, Forest, Soil (b) Rocks & Mineral: Types and their uses
- Population: Growth, Distribution and Density, Sex-ratio, Literacy, urban and Rural Population.
Part C- Rajasthan
- Broad Physical Features: Mountains, Plateaus, Plains, Rivers and Lakes.
- Major Physiographic Regions.
- Natural Vegetation and Climate.
- Livestock, Wildlife and its Conversation.
- Agriculture- Major Crops.
Mineral Resources: (i) Metallic Minerals- Types, distribution and Industrial uses and their
(ii)Non-Metallic Minerals- Types, distribution and Industrial uses and
- Energy Resources: Conventional and Non-conventional
- Population and Tribes.
Paper – 3
General Knowledge and General Studies
Indian Political System, World Politics and Current Affairs
- Indian Political System, World Politics and Current Affairs
- Indian Constitution: Framing, Features, Amendments, Basic Structure.
- Ideological Contents: Preamble, Fundamental Rights, Directive Principles of State Policy, Fundamental Duties
- Institutional framework- I: Parliamentary System, President, Prime Minister and Council of Ministers, Parliament.
- Institutional Framework- II: Federalism, Centre-State relations, Supreme Court, High Courts, Judicial Review, Judicial Activism.
- Institutional Framework- III: Election Commission of India, Comptroller and Auditor General, Union Public Service Commission, NITI Aayog, Central Vigilance Commission, Central Information Commission, National Human Rights Commission
- Political Dynamics: Role of Cast, Religion, Class, Ethnicity, Language and Gender in Indian Politics, Political Parties and Electoral Behaviour, Civil Society and Political Movement, Issues related to National Integrity and Security. Potential areas of Socio-Political conflicts
- State Politics of Rajasthan: Party System, Political Demography, Different phases of Political competition in Rajasthan, Panchayati Raj and Urban self Government Institutions
- Emerging World Order in the post Cold War era, USA’s hegemony and its resistance, UN and Regional Organizations, International Terrorism and Environmental issues.
- Foreign Policy of India: Evolution, Determinants, India’s relations with USA, China, Russia and European Union, India’s role in UN, NAM, BRICS, G- 20, G- 77 and SAARC.
- Geo-political and Strategic development in South Asia, South East Asia and West Asia and their impact on India.
- Current Affairs: Current events, persons and places of Rajasthan, National and international importance, recent activities related to games and sports.
Concepts, Issues and Dynamics of Public Administration and Management
- Administration and management: Meaning, nature and significance. Its role in developed & developing societies. Evolution of Public Administration as a discipline, new public administration, Theories of public administration.
- Concepts of power, authority, legitimacy, responsibility and delegation.
- Principles of organization: Hierarchy, Span of control and unity of command
- Functions of management, Corporate governance and social responsibility
- New dimensions of public management, management of change.
- Attitude and foundational values of civil services: integrity, impartiality, and non partisanship, dedication to public service, relationship between generalists and specialists.
- Legislative & Judicial control over administration: various methods and techniques of legislative & judicial control.
- Administrative setup, administrative culture in Rajasthan: Governor, Chief Minister, Council of Ministers, State Secretariat and Chief Secretary.
- District administration: organization, role of District Collector and Superintendent of Police, Sub-divisional and Tehsil administration.
- Development Administration: Meaning, Scope and Characteristics.
- State Human Rights Commission, State Election Commission, Lokayukt, Rajasthan Public Service Commission, Public Service Guarantee Act, 2011
Sports and Yoga, Behavior and Law
Part A- Sports and Yoga
- Sports Policies of India.
- Rajasthan State Sports Council.
- National Awards of Sports. (Arjuna Award, Dronacharya Award, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, Maharana Pratap Award etc.)
- Yoga – Positive way of Life.
- Eminent Players of India
- First Aid in Sports
- Participation of Indian Atheletes in Olympics and Para-Olympic Games.
Part B – Behavior
- Intelligence: Cognitive intelligence, Social intelligence, Emotional intelligence, Cultural intelligence and Howard Gardner’s theory of multiple intelligence.
- Personality: Psychoanalytical theories, Trait and Type theories, Determinants of personality and Assessment of personality
- Learning and Motivation: styles of learning, Models of memory, causes of forgetting. Classification and types of motives, Theories of work motivation, Assessment of motivation
- Meeting Life Challenges: Stress: Nature, type, Sources, Symptoms, Effects, Stress Management, Promotion of Positive health and well being.
- Concepts of Law: Ownership and possession, Personality, Liability, Rights and Duties.
- Contemporary Legal issues: Right to information, Information technology law including cyber laws (concepts, purpose, prospects), Intellectual Property Rights (concepts, types, purpose, prospects)
- Crimes against Women and Children: Domestic Violence, Sexual Harassment the work place, the protection of children from sexual offenses Act 2012, Laws related to child labour.
- Important Land Laws in Rajasthan: Rajasthan Land Revenue Act, 1956; Rajasthan Tenancy Act, 1955
Paper – 4
General English (Total marks 80)
Part A- Grammar & Usage (20 Marks)
- Correction of Sentences: 10 sentences for correction with errors related to: Articles & Determiners
- Tenses & Sequence of Tenses
- Voice- Active & Passive
- Narration- Direct & Indirect
- Synonyms & Antonyms
- Phrasal Verbs & Idioms
- One Word Substitute
- Words often Confused or Misused
Part B- Comprehension, Translation & Precis Writing (30 Marks)
- Comprehension of an Unseen Passage (250 Words approximately) 05 Questions based on the passage. Question No. 05 should preferably be on vocabulary.
- Translation of five sentences from Hindi to English.
- Precis Writing (a short passage of approximately 150-200 words)
Part C- Composition & Letter Writing (30 Marks)
- Paragraph Writing- Any 01 paragraph out of 03 given topics (approximately 200 words)
- Elaboration of a given theme (Any 1 out of 3, approximately 150 words)
- Letter Writing or Report Writing (approximately 150 words)
General Hindi and General English
सामान्य हिन्दी (अंक 120)
भाग अ – अंक (50)
- संधि एव संधि-विच्छेद – दिये हुए शब्दो की संधि करना और संधि-विच्छेद करना ।
- उपसर्ग – सामान्य ज्ञान, उपसर्गो से शब्दो की संरचना तथा शब्दो में से उपसर्ग एव शब्द प्रथक करना
- प्रत्यय – सामान्य ज्ञान, दिए हुए प्रत्ययो से शब्द बनाना और शब्दो में से प्रत्यय और शब्द प्रथक करना
- पर्यायवाची शब्द
- विलोम शब्द
- समश्रुत भिन्नार्थक शब्द – दिये हुए शब्द-युग्म का अर्थ-भेद
- वाक्यांश के लिए सार्थक शब्द
- शब्द शुद्धि
- वाक्य शुद्धि
- मुहावरे – मुहावरो का वाक्य में सटीक प्रयोग
- कहावत/लोकोक्ति – केवल भावार्थ
- पारिभाषिक शब्दावली – प्रशासन से संबंधित अंग्रेजी शब्दो के समानार्थ हिंदी पारिभाषिक शब्द
भाग ब – अंक (50)
- संक्षिप्तीकरण – गद्यावतरण का उचित शीर्षक एव लगभग एक-तिहाई शब्दो में संक्षिप्तीकरण (गद्यावतरण की शब्द सीमा लगभग 100 शब्द )
- पल्लवन – किसी सूक्ति, काव्य पंक्ति, प्रसिद्ध कथन आदि का भाव विस्तार (शब्द सीमा-लगभग 100 शब्द)
- पत्र लेखन – सामान्य कार्यालयी पत्र, कार्यालय आदेश, अर्द्धशासकीय पत्र, अनुस्मारक
- प्रारुप लेखन – अधिसूचनाए निविदाए परिपत्र, विज्ञप्ति
- अनुवाद – दिये हुए अंग्रेजी अनुच्छेद का हिंदी में अनुवाद । (शब्द सीमा-लगभग 75 शब्द)
भाग स – अंक (20)
किसी सामयिक एव अन्य विषय पर निबंध लेखन (शब्द सीमा- लगभग 250 शब्द)